Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Starbucks Frappuccino "copycats"

These were inspired by this post - Make a Starbucks Frappuccino for $0.32 Which gave me the secret ingredient! Xanthan Gum! Until I found the above post I was very disappointed in the texture of my homemade Frappuccinos.

Starbucks Frappuccinos became my staple "go to" treat (and sometimes breakfast)...I did finally get down to a decent calorie one...but that left me with the problem of paying $5.00 a drink! Not so great if you don't have lots of money.

*NOTE - Nutritional facts do not include whipped cream. Add about 75 calories if you plan on putting as much whipped cream (ready whip 15 cal per serving) as I did in the photos. I decided not to include the whipped cream because people may use more, less or none at all....and well...I'm a fatty when it comes to it and use like 5 servings! haha

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Caramel Frappuccino
24 oz serving (whipped cream not included)
Calories: 152.........Carbs: 26.........Fiber: 1.........Fat: 0
.........Protein: 8.........Sugar: 12.........Sodium: 189

Weight Watcher Points: 3

Ingredients
1 Cup Skim Milk
2 TBSP Sugar Free Caramel Coffee Syrup
1 Packet Instant Coffee (or 1 tsp if you don't buy the packets)
1 TBSP Smuckers Sugar Free Caramel
1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 Cup Ice

1) In a blender combine milk, coffee syrup, instant coffee and xanthan gum...blend for a 30 seconds or so until everything is mixed (no more instant coffee bits).

2)Add ice, and pulse the blender. I use a cheap blender ($20 at Walmart), and found that it crushes ice great if I don't just hit the button and let it run. (otherwise it gets stuck on the ice chunks and leaves cubes in my drink)...but if I pulse it (turning it on..off...on..off with only a few seconds of blending at a time), then all the ice gets blended.

3) Drizzle Smuckers caramel on the cup, on top, however you like...Add whipped cream (optional).

Suggestions - Almond Milk to lower calories, Use 1/2 cup Milk & 1/2 Cup Water to lower calories, Add protein powder to up the nutrition (will add more calories).

**Compare - Venti (24 oz) Starbucks Light Caramel Frappuccino (no whip)
Calories: 190.........Carbs: 45.........Fiber: 0.........Fat: 0
.........Protein: 5.........Sugar: 40.........Sodium: 270.........WW Pts: 5


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Java Chip Frappuccino
24 oz Serving (or TWO 12 oz servings)- No Whip
Calories: 240.........Carbs: 34.........Fiber: 4.........Fat: 7
.........Protein: 11.........Sugar: 24.........Sodium: 244

Weight Watcher Points: 6

*This one isn't so great in the calorie department...it still beats Starbucks, but not by much. Nothing you can really do since the majority of the calories come for the chocolate chips. I suggest splitting into 2 servings if your craving chocolate, and share with a friend :)

Ingredients
1 Cup Skim Milk
1/2 TBSP Cocoa Powder
1 Packet Instant Coffee (or 1 tsp if you don't buy the packets)
2 TBSP Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup
2 Blocks Hersheys Dark Chocolate from Giant Bar. (or about 100 calories in Chocolate chips/ Dark Chocolate etc)
1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 Cup Ice

1) In a blender combine milk, cocoa powder, instant coffee and xanthan gum...blend for a 30 seconds or so until everything is mixed (no more instant coffee bits). Then add Chocolate chips/Chocolate Bar Pieces and blend another 30 seconds to break up.

2)Add ice, and pulse the blender. *See Caramel Frap directions for reasoning*

3) Drizzle Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup on the cup, on top, however you like...Add whipped cream (optional).

Suggestions - Almond Milk to lower calories, Use 1/2 cup Milk & 1/2 Cup Water to lower calories, Add protein powder to up the nutrition (will add more calories).

**Compare - Venti (24 oz) Starbucks Light Java Chip Frappuccino (no whip)
Calories: 280.........Carbs: 59.........Fiber: 2.........Fat: 5
.........Protein: 7.........Sugar: 49.........Sodium: 320.........WW pts: 8




5 comments:

  1. For the chocolate troubles, why not use Ghiradelli 100% chocolate bar? It would reduce the sugar and calories immensely!

    Creative recipes, thanks for sharing and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Those look absolutely delish. I'm gonna have to start making my own... saves an Arm an a leg too for just a few minutes of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does. Its an ongoing joke with my family and friends when it comes to me and Starbucks (because they know I'd go everyday if I could afford it). I searched for a long time to get the right consistency, now I make one of these a few times a week. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Now I can have my favorite iced coffee!! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP